Saturday, January 19, 2008

We had to drive to find it...but we did.

We thought we'd take advantage of the nice Arctic Air that we were getting here in East Tennessee this weekend. So we piled the kids in the van and drove to the mountains.

We started to get discouraged and disheartened when about half way up there was nothing but cold air. We got a hint of hope when we saw an ice pocket off the left side of the rode. About ten minutes later, we had a thin flurry of snow and about ten minutes later we were pulled over enjoying a strong flurry of snow--just enough for two Florida girls to enjoy!! We stayed and played for about thirty minutes before the girls were covered head to toe in snow and beginning to complain about being cold and wet. So, we piled back into the van, cranked the front and rear heater, and began our trek back down the mountain.

Well, we got stuck behind some bozo with Florida plates and ended up going like 10 mph for about 10 minutes. I didn't want to be the first knucklehead to pass the bozo from FL so we stayed in our break happy line until some brave soul from the back decided he'd had enough. Then me, the brave ex-FL driver, took advantage and passed too. I am happy to say I survived my first drive on ice with only one extremely minor rear slide toward the mountain...though I did ask Madyson to move and sit on the other side of the car just in case it happened again and we weren't as blessed. (She was sitting in the most dangerous spot in the car--if we were to slide to the rear right and hit the mountain she would've had the hardest and most direct impact.)

We saw the snow had fallen really far down the mountain...it was weird seeing lots of snow where there hadn't been any just an hour ago. When we reached the bottom of the mountain they had actually closed the road up because of the snow and ice that had fallen and collected. All-in-all I am glad we live where we live--it is close enough to drive to snow, but we can go home and not shovel it!!

Enjoy the slide show!!



2 comments:

The Nassars said...

Ok, you know I am so jealous!!! I feel the same way, I would like to go see it and leave it there...
Great pics!!

Laci Strickland said...

We were supposed to get some snow! My car ended up with an inch or so on it, but the yard was melted by the time we woke up.. I love seeing snow but hate the cold weather..probably best that I don't live in the mountains :)
Looks like you guys had a blast!!
Miss you!
Laci